Re: [Xen-devel] Linux 3.4 dom0 kernel error loading xen-acpi-processor: Input/output error

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 05:15:18PM -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

> > > Yep. Does xen-acpi-processor driver load OK on your servers?
> > >

> > I just tried Linux 3.8.3 as dom0 on the Xeon 5600 CPU and
> > xen-acpi-processor fails
> > in the same way as it fails with Linux 3.4.
> >
> > I also tested on my Ivy Bridge i7 desktop, and there xen-acpi-processor
> > driver loads OK..
>
> And when I add some extra printks in working box I see that these calls:
>
>       acpi_get_handle(pr->handle, "_PCT", &handle);
>       acpi_get_handle(pr->handle, "_PSD", &handle);
>       acpi_get_handle(pr->handle, "_PSS", &handle);
>
> work, yet in the SSDT and DSDT those strings don't show up?

That's weird.. then again it probably explains why I didn't see
those strings either in SSDT/DSDT on the i7 boxes.

> I think this
> requires some deep ACPI sorcery to figure out. On the AMD boxes they
> nicely show up.

Yeah I was afraid of that ;)

I've already tried simple things with acpi.debug_level=0xffffffff and
acpi.debug_layer=0xffffffff
but nothing obvious so far.. I need to dig deeper..

It'd help to understand how all that SSDT/DSDT and PCT/PSD/PSS stuff is
supposed to work..
If you happen to have good links to read about this ACPI black magic let me
know (I'll probably regret asking for this ;)

-- Pasi