Re: [Xen-devel] Xen4.2 debian packaging

  • To: Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Tim Deegan <tim@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 17:40:10 +0000
  • Cc: Xen Devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 17:40:23 +0000

At 17:13 +0000 on 22 Feb (1361553221), Alex Bligh wrote:
> The xen debian packaging currently produces a debian package of what
> 'make install' would produce. This includes a fair amount of development
> only stuff, puts the hypervisor in /boot etc.
>
> This packaging is not used by Ubuntu (I don't know about debian).

Debian also has its own packaging of Xen.

The 'make deb' target is explicitly not an attempt to package Xen in a
way that's suitable for deployment -- it's just a way for developers to
to install a build onto a testbox and cleanly uninstall it later.

Your minideb seems much more like a 'proper' package to me (with init
files &c), and I'm inclined to suggest that if Debian's/Ubuntu's own
packaging for Xen doesn't do what you need you should get involved in
Debian/Ubuntu to make it so rather than duplicating effort here.

That said, tools and packaging aren't really my area and the tools
maintainers may disagree.  I'm just commenting as the person responsible
for the original make deb target.

Cheers,

Tim.