[Xen-devel] why are qemu-img and vhd-util created files incompatible?

I was wondering if someone can shed some light on why vhd files
created with qemu-img don't really work right with vhd-util and
consequentially blktap in general.  To validate the incompatiblity its
simple enough to do

qemu-img create -f vpc test.vhd 40g
vhd-util snapshot -n child.vhd -p test.vhd

Which will show the below and then the headers don't display the BATMAP summary:

primary footer invalid: creation time in future
test.vhd appears invalid; dumping metadata
Failed to open test.vhd: -22

Additionally "vhd-util snapshot -n child.vhd -p test.vhd" will give
you the same 22 error.

I was going to start researching this with the eventual goal of
changing qemu-img, but I thought I'd ask the experts first.

Thanks,
Darren