Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.2.1 boot failure with IOMMU enabled

>>> On 12.02.13 at 11:55, povder <povder@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2013/2/12 Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx>:
>>> On 12.02.13 at 07:26, povder <povder@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Here is the output with iommu=debug: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=1wwLw82c
>>
>> There's no boot failure in that log, so please clarify what this was
>> generated from.
>>

> I don't know if I understood you well but for me this log contains a
> boot failure.
> Maybe I misunderstand the term "boot failure" but for me (non-native
> english speaker)
> when a machine cannot start I understand it as a "boot failure".
> This log is a full serial output of start process of my machine
> which ends up with a failure so in my opinion it contains a boot
> failure - correct me
> if I'm wrong.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't look through all the way to the end of the
log, as I expected the crash to happen before Dom0 even starts.

>> Also, sadly, the debug output isn't really helpful, which is why
>> the patch that supposedly fixes your boot problem also adjusts
>> what gets printed here (for the unlikely case that your problem
>> persists with that patch:
>> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-02/msg00408.html).
>>

> So to ensure myself: I should apply a path from
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-02/msg00408.html
> and that should resolve my problem? Or maybe is there is a planned release
> of next Xen version that will already contain this patch? If a release
> is planned
> to be in near future I would prefer to wait for it rather than apply the
> patch
> myself and compile Xen from sources.

With the above, the patch is unlikely to address your problem,
but will likely provide better debugging output. So please
nevertheless try building with that patch included, assuming
the problem first started after you built Xen from a recent
4.2-testing tree (as opposed to this being plain 4.2.1, in which
case the problem is obviously unrelated to the recent changes
I'm thinking of).

Jan