Re: [Xen-devel] PoD, 4.2, and current/maximum reservation

On 11/02/13 11:39, James Harper wrote:
On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM, James Harper
<james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

        A user has pointed out a problem with GPLPV under Xen 4.2 when
using PoD. I'm using the difference between
XENMEM_maximum_reservation and XENMEM_current_reservation to tell
me how much I should balloon down to account for PoD, but when the user
has ballooned down to 1G (from 4Gb or 8GB), GPLPV logs the following:

        13005008825593: XenPCI     XENMEM_maximum_reservation =
262400
        13005008825593: XenPCI     XENMEM_current_reservation = 262136
        13005008825609: XenPCI     Trying to give 1056 KB (1 MB) to Xen

        What is the correct way to tell how much PoD memory there is under
4.2? Am I doing it wrong?

        I balloon down as early as possible (before xenbus starts) to avoid
windows going over its limit so I'm hoping I can determine the size of PoD
memory just via hypercalls.

You shouldn't have to know anything specifically about PoD -- you should just
look at the balloon target for the guest written in xenstore.  The idea was as
much as possible for the toolstack and Xen to work together to make it
transparent to the balloon driver, in part because we expected to be running
legacy drivers.  The Citrix PV drivers don't do anything special wrt PoD
memory.  (Paul, please correct me if I'm wrong.)
So I should just balloon down to the current_reservation figure right?

...I don't think so -- it looks like you're getting that from a hypercall, not from xenstore. You want the normal balloon target value from xenstore. (But I might be confused -- I'm not super familiar with the technical details of the ballooning codepath, just the overall principles.)

WRT timing and xenbus, a couple of things:

* Windows does a scrub of all memory at start-of-day.  Especially on multiple-
vcpu systems, we were unable to start the balloon process early enough to
win the race against the scrubber, so we had to have ways of "reclaiming"
zeroed pages for the PoD pool.  What this means is that it's not a matter of
Windows *touching* memory, but of windows *dirtying* memory that will
lead to a problem.

* So there is a minimum amount of memory Windows needs to be able to
make it to the stage where the balloon driver can run.  When XenServer first
implemented DMC, the team did extensive testing to determine minimum
values above which Windows never crashed or hung, and (as I understand it)
baked those into the xapi toolstack as a "seatbelt" to prevent users from
setting the value too low.

Not sure if that helps in your particular case -- I think 1G was within the
limit,
but I could be wrong.  Dave, any comments?

I think I could go from 4GB down to 128MB reliably without crashing, although
the resulting OS wasn't particularly usable :)

I think what we found was that Windows required a certain amount of memory to *boot*. If you gave it less than that, then either one of two things would happen: * The processes dirtying RAM beat the balloon driver, and the guest crashed with a PoD-cache-empty error * The balloon driver beat the processes dirtying ram, and the guest hung; presumably some service somewhere waiting for some memory to "free up".

In theory after boot you could reduce the memory below that threshold. But then what would you do if you needed to reboot the guest? You'd have to go grab the memory from somewhere else, which is the situation we were trying to avoid with having PoD in the first place. So the guy architecting DMC just made it a hard floor (again, as I understand it).

 -George