Re: [Xen-devel] Xen-unstable boot panic due to changeset 26517 AMD, IOMMU: Clean up old entries in remapping tables when creating new one

>> Hmm with the patch it does boot, but disables the I/O virtualization.

> Good. While, as said before, I still don't understand why it didn't
> crash earlier without that patch, I'm glad it's fixed. Will post the
> patch for inclusion momentarily.

>> Output of xl-dmesg attached, do you still need a xen-sums of the situation
>> without the debug patch (where it does crash) ?

> And you can't expect much else with broken ACPI tables:

Hmm yeah it seems anything that has to remotely depend on anything bios related
is pretty doomed, on both intel and AMD.
And support/willingness to correct things, is limited, not to say non-existent.

> (XEN) AMD-Vi: IVHD Device Entry: type 0x48 id 0 flags 0xd7
> (XEN) AMD-Vi: IVHD Special: 0000:00:14.0 variety 0x2 handle 0

> This is a HPET entry.

> (XEN) AMD-Vi: IVHD Device Entry: type 0x48 id 0 flags 0
> (XEN) AMD-Vi: IVHD Special: 0000:00:00.1 variety 0x1 handle 0x7

> And this is an entry for IO-APIC #2 (ID 7), whereas FADT says

> (XEN) ACPI: IOAPIC (id[0x06] address[0xfec00000] gsi_base[0])
> (XEN) IOAPIC[0]: apic_id 6, version 33, address 0xfec00000, GSI 0-23
> (XEN) ACPI: IOAPIC (id[0x07] address[0xfec20000] gsi_base[24])
> (XEN) IOAPIC[1]: apic_id 7, version 33, address 0xfec20000, GSI 24-55

> so the IOMMU table is lacking an entry for the first IO-APIC, and
> without that we can't set up per-device interrupt remapping (in
> which case we choose to disable the IOMMU altogether, albeit it
> had been questioned whether that isn't making a bad situation
> worse in some cases).

> If you want the IOMMU back (at the price of re-opening the
> security issue described in XSA-36), you'd have to pass
> "iommu=amd-iommu-perdev-intremap" to the hypervisor.

Will try some newer bios, although i tried that in the past and it resulted in
a non-booting system.
But perhaps things have changed for the better.

Thanks so far !

--
Sander