Re: [Xen-devel] coverage license information

On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 13:24 -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Paolo Bonzini <bonzini@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Would it make sense to release the header file under a permissive
> > license or even public domain?
> >
> > The information there is just ABI, it's dubious that it is copyrightable
> > at all.  If two colleagues of Frediano's did a clean-room reverse
> > engineering, the result would really be indistiguishable from the original.
>
> I agree that the information in gcov-io.h is almost certainly uncopyrightable.
>
> But since it's under the GCC Runtime Library Exception, which applies
> to approximately every program compiled by GCC, I don't think it makes
> much difference one way or another.  I'm not opposed to asking the FSF
> to relicense the file, I just don't think it matters.
>
> Ian

Hi,
  some updated.

I used an header from Linux which is derived from this GCC header when
GCC was still GPL2 so GPL3 does not apply. Xen is GPL2 too so there is
no problem using this header in Xen. The problem is including in the
public headers.

Actually I changed patch to use the header only privately in Xen. I
wrote a new header with the format that Xen export. However somebody
could complaint that the format I used to export came from GCC ABI
documented in the header.

Am I too paranoid?

Frediano