Re: [Xen-devel] Modifying Xen migration

On Sun, 2013-01-27 at 14:26 +0000, Vincenzo De Maio wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> for research purposes I'm working on Xen 3.0.3 and trying to make some
> modifications to Xen migration.

That's a very old version of Xen -- any reason you can't use something
more modern like 4.1 or 4.2?

>  By looking at the documentation, I've
> learned that the part I'm interesting in are handled by two binaries
> (xc_save and xc_restore),

These are used by the xend toolstack only, and are fairly thin wrappers
around tools/libxc/xc_domain_{save,restore}.c. Other toolstacks (which
likely aren't an issue with 3.0.3 but...) use libxc directly.

>  so I thought about modifying just this two
> binaries instead of recompiling the whole Xen everytime, so what I do
> is just modifying this two binaries, recompile them with "make tools"
> and then copy them into /usr/lib64/xen/bin/ . However, after doing
> this, when running the migration command (xm migrate domain
> destination) I got a popen error. What am I doing wrong?

You new binaries do not work, as you can see in the log.

>  Please have a
> look at the log below if it could be useful. Thanks a lot in advance!
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xend/XendCheckpoint.py",
> line 211, in save
>     forkHelper(cmd, fd, saveInputHandler, False, dominfo)
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xend/XendCheckpoint.py",
> line 477, in forkHelper
>     raise XendError("%s failed: popen failed" % string.join(cmd))
> XendError: /usr/lib64/xen/bin/xc_save 23 1385 0 0 4 failed: popen failed
[...]
> /usr/lib64/xen/bin/xc_save: symbol lookup error:
> /usr/lib64/xen/bin/xc_save: undefined symbol: xc_linux_

This is your error. Almost certainly thise relates to whatever
modification you have made.

Ian.