Re: [Xen-devel] 4.3 Planning: Taking stock

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 05:00:26PM +0000, Jan Beulich wrote:
> >> * Xen EFI feature: dom0 able to make use of EFI run-time services
> >>

> > Daniel Kiper is already working on this, but has just started.  The issue
> > (as I understand it) is that if there are systems where the ACPI tables are
> > only discoverable via EFI, then Xen+pvops will not be able to boot if pvops
> > doesn't have EFI run-time support.  The following version of Xen won't come
> > out until probably Q2 2014, and won't hit distros probably until 6 months
> > after that.
> >
> > Given that, what do we think is the likelihood of such systems cropping up
> > in that timeframe?  If the answer is anything other than "very low", I
> > think that as a strategic measure, this one is probably important enough to
> > slip the schedule a little bit if necessary.
>
> Except that this ought to be marked (external) in the first place:
> The hypervisor support is all there (otherwise our kernels wouldn't
> have been successfully booting on EFI for well over a year), and
> hence this work shouldn't really have any impact on the schedule.
>
> The one feature here that requires work in our tree is to be able
> to boot via grub.efi (irrespective of how little I personally like that);
> I'm not sure Daniel was also planning to look into that part.

I am going to do all work which is needed to run Xen + upstream Linux
Kernel on EFI enabled platform. I am going to look at GRUB2 too (as
stated eariler). I hope that this does not require a lot of work and
relevant patches could be ready before 4.3 feature freeze.

Daniel