Re: [Xen-devel] Proposed XENMEM_claim_pages hypercall: Analysis of problem and alternate solutions

On Tue, 2013-01-08 at 19:41 +0000, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
> [1] A clarification: In the Oracle model, there is only maxmem;
> i.e. current_maxmem is always the same as lifetime_maxmem;

This is exactly what I am proposing that you change in order to
implement something like the claim mechanism in the toolstack.

If your model is fixed in stone and cannot accommodate changes of this
type then there isn't much point in continuing this conversation.

I think we need to agree on this before we consider the rest of your
mail in detail, so I have snipped all that for the time being.

> i.e. d->max_pages is fixed for the life of the domain and
> only d->tot_pages varies; i.e. no intelligence is required
> in the toolstack.  AFAIK, the distinction between current_maxmem
> and lifetime_maxmem was added for Citrix DMC support.

I don't believe Xen itself has any such concept, the distinction is
purely internal to the toolstack and which value it chooses to push down
to d->max_pages.

I don't know (or particularly care) what Citrix DMC does since I was not
involved with it other than when it triggered bugs in balloon drivers.

Ian.