[Xen-devel] ocaml oxenstored2 (forwarded message)

Forwarded with Dave Scott's permission, here is an email about some
work that has been going on to advance the state of oxenstored.

I think this sounds really interesting and I'm looking forward to
seeing the actual patches.  Dave, if there's anything we can do,
please let us know.

Thanks,
Ian.

--- Begin Message ---
Hi Wei,

I have been working on oxenstored recently. It's all open-source, and I intend
to send an email to xen-devel about it soon :-)

So far I've made the following changes:

1. it can now use libev to handle events (instead of just calling select()).
This is all transparent now that I'm using a library called "lwt" ("light
weight threads")
2. it can be built as either a stubdom (via Mirage[1]) or as a Unix user-space
process (as before)
3. it supports a new transaction coalesce algorithm which avoids unnecessary
conflicts when starting VMs -- this helps "VM bootstorms" a lot
4. it has an improved quota mechanism which works for driver domains (a driver
domain will need a higher quota than a regular domU)
5. all of its configuration parameters (eg logging config) can be changed live,
by writing to special nodes in the tree (like linux /proc). This helps a lot
when debugging since you can just turn on read logging without needing to
reboot and it makes sense in a stubdom where there is no config file...
6. it has a large unit test suite, to check all those annoying corner-cases:
this makes refactoring much easier

I've been working on the code in github:

https://github.com/djs55/ocaml-xenstore
https://github.com/djs55/ocaml-xenstore-xen
https://github.com/djs55/ocaml-xenstore-clients

There's still a fair amount of work to do, but it's working pretty well.

I've got some design documentation lying around which I'll either add to a
public repo or stick on the xen wiki. After that I'll start a thread on
xen-devel.

Cheers,
Dave

[1] http://www.openmirage.org/ -- a set of tools and libraries for building xen