Re: [Xen-devel] Resizing block devices live?

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2012-12-18 at 13:52 +0000, George Dunlap wrote:
> One of the requests from the xenorg.uservoice.com page that had a
> moderate amount of interest was to allow block devices to be resized.
> There's a description here:
>
> https://xenorg.uservoice.com/forums/172169-xen-development/suggestions/3140313-implement-block-device-resize
>

> I have no idea what this would take -- can anyone comment?

Doesn't that already work? I thought this was patch in the PV block
drivers ages ago...

Yes, http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XenParavirtOps lists it under 2.6.36.

Maybe this is a missing feature of (lib)xl vs xend?

"xm help" doesn't show a "block-resize" command, nor does grepping through tools for "resize" turn up anything.

Would someone be willing to do some investigation into whether such a command is implemented in the protocol, and what it would take to get a "xm block-resize" command working?  (Not necessarily do it, but have an idea what probably needs to be done.)

 -George