Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Enabling live-migrate on HVM on qemu-xen device model

Ian,

--On 17 December 2012 12:01:52 +0000 Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

It's definitely at least a bug in the documentation -- this isn't a
feature which was forgotten about, it was explicitly decided hadn't met
the 4.2 deadline and wasn't going to be ready in time to wait for. This
should have been documented and in the release notes etc, sorry.

We did at least manage to tag it tech preview in
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Release_Features which implies that it is
not yet fully formed.

It is indeed tagged as 'tech preview'.

But given that:
a) HVM is hardly uncommon
b) live-migrate is pretty essential
c) qemu-xen device model is the default next time around and the /only/
  way you can achieve certain things (e.g. rebaseable snapshots)
d) the code is already written (at least for -unstable) and the patch is
  smallish (particularly if the JSON stuff is ignored)

... I'd suggest a backport to 4.2.x is a reasonable request. I've had a
first go at the libxl part and Stefano got their first and volunteered
to do the qemu bit (if he doesn't have time I can have a go at that too).

If necessary we can guard the code either with a compile time switch or
(as the wiki page suggested to me) a hypervisor command line switch like
TMEM and AVX, which if it's not enabled would just error the call in the
same way libxl does at the moment.

--
Alex Bligh