Re: [Xen-devel] how to make xenalyze continuously reading from xentrace file ?

On 08/12/12 06:02, M A wrote:
Hi There,

I'm a student at NYIT, New York and I have project on xen hypervisor.
Currently i'm working on xentrace and xenalyze to monitor the runstate
events. What i'm trying do now is:  While i'm capturing  by xentrace I
want to display the result on the screen using xenalyze.  I tried to use
loop in the main function but I got errors and when I tried to solve
these errors I got more errors.

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
     /* Start with warn at stderr. */

     warn = stderr;

     argp_parse(&parser_def, argc, argv, 0, NULL, NULL);

     if (G.trace_file == NULL)
         exit(1);

     if ( (G.fd = open(G.trace_file, O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE)) < 0) {
         perror("open");
         error(ERR_SYSTEM, NULL);
     } else {
         struct stat64 s;
         fstat64(G.fd, &s);
         G.file_size = s.st_size;
     }

     if ( (G.mh = mread_init(G.fd)) == NULL )
         perror("mread");

     if (G.symbol_file != NULL)
         parse_symbol_file(G.symbol_file);

     if(opt.dump_all)
         warn = stdout;

for (int i=0;i<=1000;i++){
     init_pcpus();

     if(opt.progress)
         progress_init();

     process_records();

     if(opt.interval_mode)
         interval_tail();

     if(opt.summary)
         summary();

     if(opt.report_pcpu)
         report_pcpu();
sleep(2);

}
     if(opt.progress)
         progress_finish();

     return 0;
}

*Error: vcpu_next_update: FATAL: p->current not NULL! (d32768v0,
runstate running)*

How can I can make xenalyze to continuously read from xentrace output file ?

(Adding xen-devel, since this is definitely a coding question)

So I take it what you're doing is this:
1. Start xentrace:
 # xentrace -e all /tmp/foo.trace &
2. Running your "looping" xenalyze on it:
 # xenalyze -s /tmp/foo.trace

Is that correct?

I don't know what your exact problem is here, but one problem you'll run into eventually is that xenalyze expects a certain "finished" file format, but there's nothing here to synchronize xenalyze reading the file with xentrace writing the file. The result is that you're bound at some point to read a file of which the end is only half-written.

In any case, what you're doing here is functionally not really that different from just doing it in bash:
 # while xenalyze -s /tmp/foo.trace && sleep 2 ; true; done

 -George