From: "George Dunlap" <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Yanzhang Li" <liyz@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: un5efine5 7:05:32 PM
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Suggestion: Improve hypercall Interface to get real
 return value

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Yanzhang Li < liyz@xxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

Do you think this would be a good modification?
Also, I am curious why the original design didn't do that. Is it a bug or is it
designed that way intentionally?
Any suggestions and comments will be highly appreciated.

The reason we just return -1 is because that is the standard practice for Unix
system libraries: to return -1 but set the error value in "errno". I couldn't
tell you why Unix does this, but there's an advantage to following standard
interfaces, because it reduces the surprise factor, and reduces the amount of
information programmers need to keep in their head.

Â-George