Re: [Xen-devel] Audit of NMI and MCE paths

At 20:04 +0000 on 04 Dec (1354651442), Andrew Cooper wrote:
> I have just starting auditing the NMI path and found that the oprofile
> code calls into a fair amount of common code.
>
> So far, down the first leg of the call graph, I have found several
> ASSERT()s, a BUG() and many {rd,wr}msr()s.  Given that these are common
> code, and sensible in their places, removing them for the sake of being
> on the NMI path seems silly.
>
> As an alternative, I suggest that we make ASSERT()s, BUG()s and WARN()s
> NMI/MCE safe, from a printk spinlock point of view.

WARN()s would need to be removed, since they involve a non-fatal fault.

> Either we can modify the macros to do a console_force_unlock(), which is
> fine for BUG() and ASSERT(), but problematic for WARN() (and deferring
> the printing to a tasklet wont work if we want a stack trace).
> Alternativly, we could change the console lock to be a recursive lock,
> at which point it is safe from the deadlock point of view.

It's only safe if the console lock is the _only_ lock that can be taken
both in NMI/MCE context and in 'normal' IRQ context.  Otherwise
we'd end up with exactly the class of deadlocks we had before with
IRQ/non-IRQ.

> For the {rd,wr}msr()s, we can assume that the Xen code is good and is
> not going to fault on access to the MSR, but we certainly cant guarantee
> this.

As Jan points out, it's *msr_safe() we need to worry about.

> As a result, I do not think it is practical or indeed sensible to remove
> all possibility of faults from the NMI path (and MCE to a lesser
> extent).

I'm not sure what the problem is -- the printk() locking issue is AFAICT
unrelated to the nested-NMI one, and will have to be fixed separately
from whatever we do for nested NMI.  So AFAICT we have to audit for
WARN()s and non-fatal printk()s in NMI/MCE code regardless.

Tim.