Re: [Xen-devel] Proposed new "memory capacity claim" hypercall/feature

Wait, please define unlimited.

I think we are in agreement from previous discussion that, to solve
the TOCTOU race, the heap_lock must be held for the entire allocation
for a domain creation.  True?

So unless the limit is "bumped" to handle the largest supported
physical memory size for a domain AND the allocation code in
the hypervisor is rewritten to hold the heap_lock while allocating
the entire extent, bumping the limit doesn't help the TOCTOU race,
correct?

Further, holding the heap_lock not only stops scheduling of
this pcpu, but also blocks other domains/pcpus from doing
any micro-allocations at all.  True?

Sorry if I am restating the obvious, but I am red-faced about
the huge-number-of-hypercalls mistake, so want to ensure if
I am understanding.

Dan

P.S. For PV domains, doesn't the toolstack already use a batch of up
to 2^20 pages?  (Or maybe I am misunderstanding/misreading the code
in arch_setup_meminit() in xc_dom_x86.c?)