Re: [Xen-devel] Start xen on UEFI system with grub

On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 07:57:30PM +0000, Jan Beulich wrote:

> >> Just get a suitable tool chain installed then.

> >> Sure, because only xen.efi has the code to deal with such.
> >>
> >> (Btw., I assume you aren't aware that any boot manager
> >> whatsoever, other than the one coming with EFI, is sort of
> >> bogus under EFI?)
> >
> >Unfortunately it looks like more and more people are of the opinion that
> >grub2 is useful even on UEFI firmware.
> >For example, it is pretty clear that Ubuntu is still going to boot Xen
> >via grub2 no matter how the firmware looks like.
>
> Then they need to be tought how to do it properly, the more that Linux itself
> now is capable of booting without a boot loader (other than the EFI one).
>
> >What would it take to make Xen work properly with grub2 on a UEFI firmware?
>
> I can't be that difficult.
>
> >I think that we should add it as a work item for Xen 4.3.
>
> If you have someone to do that work. I'm willing to review the resulting
> changes, but I currently don't see me doing anything here (as being totally
> unimportant and - just to repeat that - conceptually wrong).

Heh... I agree with Jan but there are so many things conceptually wrong
used by millions of people and we could not change that. Let's fix
(broke?) it. I am going to work on EFI stuff in upstream kernel and
I think this task could be assigned to me too.

Daniel