Re: [Xen-devel] domain creation vs querying free memory (xend and xl)

> From: Andres Lagar-Cavilla [mailto:andreslc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] domain creation vs querying free memory (xend and xl)
>

> On Oct 4, 2012, at 1:18 PM, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
>
> >> From: Andres Lagar-Cavilla [mailto:andreslc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> >> Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] domain creation vs querying free memory (xend and
> >> xl)
> >>

> >> On Oct 4, 2012, at 12:59 PM, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
> >>
> > OK.  I _think_ the design I proposed helps in systems that are using
> > page-sharing/host-swapping as well... I assume share-breaking just
> > calls the normal hypervisor allocator interface to allocate a
> > new page (if available)?  If you could review and comment on
> > the design from a page-sharing/host-swapping perspective, I would
> > appreciate it.
>
> I think you will need to refine your notion of reservation. If you have
> nominal RAM N, and current RAM
> C, N >= C, it makes no sense to reserve N so the VM later has room to occupy
> by swapping-in, unsharing
> or whatever -- then you are not over-committing memory.
>
> To the extent that you want to facilitate VM creation, it does make sense to
> reserve C and guarantee
> that.
>
> Then it gets mm-specific. PoD has one way of dealing with the allocation
> growth. xenpaging tries to
> stick to the watermark -- if something swaps in something else swaps out. And
> uncooperative balloons
> are be stymied by xapi using d->max_pages.
>
> This is why I believe you need to solve the problem of initial reservation,
> and the problem of handing
> off to the right actor. And then xl need not care any further.
>
> Andres

I think we may be saying the same thing, at least in the context
of the issue I am trying to solve (which, admittedly, may be
a smaller part of a bigger issue, and we should attempt to ensure
that the solution to the smaller part is at least a step in the
right direction for the bigger issue).  And I am trying to
solve the mechanism problem only, not the policy which, I agree is
mm-specific.

The core problem, as I see it, is that there are multiple consumers of
memory, some of which may be visible to xl and some of which are
not.  Ultimately, the hypervisor is asked to provide memory
and will return failure if it can't, so the hypervisor is the
final arbiter.

When a domain is created, we'd like to ensure there is enough memory
for it to "not fail".  But when the toolstack asks for memory to
create a domain, it asks for it "piecemeal".  I'll assume that
the toolstack knows how much memory it needs to allocate to ensure
the launch doesn't fail... my solution is that it asks for that
entire amount of memory at once as a "reservation".  If the
hypervisor has that much memory available, it returns success and
must behave as if the memory has been already allocated.  Then,
later, when the toolstack is happy that the domain did successfully
launch, it says "remember that reservation? any memory reserved
that has not yet been allocated, need no longer be reserved, you
can unreserve it"

In other words, between reservation and unreserve, there is no
memory overcommit for that domain.  Once the toolstack does
the unreserve, its memory is available for overcommit mechanisms.

Not sure if that part was clear: it's my intent that unreserve occur
soon after the domain is launched, _not_, for example, when the domain
is shut down.  What I don't know is if there is a suitable point
in the launch when the toolstack knows it can do the "release"...
that may be the sticking point and may be mm-specific.

Thanks,
Dan