Re: [Xen-devel] 4.1.2 very slow without upstream patches, but fast with them, also 4.2 very slow

I ran some new tests... 4.1.2 with different patches, and
4.3-unstable.Some details are below.

At some point in the future, I will try some builds between 4.1 and 4.2
(but at the moment am not sure how with mercurial or what options I have).

4.1.2

short version: dom0 works fine; domu ran only in a few builds and works fine

long version:
I tested 4.1.2 again, with a few selections of patches (first n patches
where n was; 0, 23, 46, 93, 186, 279; there are 373 patches in total).
All of them ran fast in dom0, unlike when I first started this mailing
list thread, and the builds that would run my windows domu ran it fast.
So probably there was something strange with the kernel I had before,
which was probably 3.4.4; now I'm using something like 3.5.x (cmason's
linux-btrfs repository, for-linus branch)

4.3-unstable

short version: dom0 works fine; domu always runs terribly slow (which
leads me to wanting to test what changed between 4.1 and 4.2)

long version:
I pulled the latest source, built it, and dom0 is fast just like with
4.2, but windows hvm domu is still terribly slow, and (with 7 vcpus), it
consumes between 500-650% while booting and a few minutes afterwards.
With 4 CPUs, I would expect between 350-550% from observations with 4.2
but didn't test other cpu counts with 4.3. (another side note,  with
4.1.3 which is normally fast, it will run slow like 4.2 and 4.3 if I set
cpus="2,4,6,8" instead of cpus=4)

xentop - 11:32:44   Xen 4.3-unstable
2 domains: 2 running, 0 blocked, 0 paused, 0 crashed, 0 dying, 0 shutdown
Mem: 16757972k total, 16739788k used, 18184k free    CPUs: 8 @ 4499MHz
      NAME  STATE   CPU(sec) CPU(%)     MEM(k) MEM(%)  MAXMEM(k)
MAXMEM(%) VCPUS NETS NETTX(k) NETRX(k) VBDS   VBD_OO   VBD_RD   VBD_WR
VBD_RSECT  VBD_WSECT SSID
  Domain-0 -----r        784   27.2   12314624   73.5   12582912
75.1     8    0        0        0    0        0        0
0          0          0    0
windowsxp2 -----r       3244  637.1    4197220   25.0    4198400
25.1     7    1      344       56    2        0    14381     6054
651283     122280    0

And then after idling for 10 minutes, it is under 200%

xentop - 11:35:29   Xen 4.3-unstable
2 domains: 1 running, 1 blocked, 0 paused, 0 crashed, 0 dying, 0 shutdown
Mem: 16757972k total, 16739788k used, 18184k free    CPUs: 8 @ 4499MHz
      NAME  STATE   CPU(sec) CPU(%)     MEM(k) MEM(%)  MAXMEM(k)
MAXMEM(%) VCPUS NETS NETTX(k) NETRX(k) VBDS   VBD_OO   VBD_RD   VBD_WR
VBD_RSECT  VBD_WSECT SSID
  Domain-0 -----r        839   42.4   12314624   73.5   12582912
75.1     8    0        0        0    0        0        0
0          0          0    0
windowsxp2 --b---       3583  114.1    4197220   25.0    4198400
25.1     7    1      426       66    2        0    14408     7501
651853     180372    0

And then when it is in use (just loading a youtube page), it is up high
again.

xentop - 11:37:17   Xen 4.3-unstable
2 domains: 2 running, 0 blocked, 0 paused, 0 crashed, 0 dying, 0 shutdown
Mem: 16757972k total, 16739788k used, 18184k free    CPUs: 8 @ 4499MHz
      NAME  STATE   CPU(sec) CPU(%)     MEM(k) MEM(%)  MAXMEM(k)
MAXMEM(%) VCPUS NETS NETTX(k) NETRX(k) VBDS   VBD_OO   VBD_RD   VBD_WR
VBD_RSECT  VBD_WSECT SSID
  Domain-0 -----r        875   37.8   12314624   73.5   12582912
75.1     8    0        0        0    0        0        0
0          0          0    0
windowsxp2 -----r       3945  529.7    4197220   25.0    4198400
25.1     7    1     4885      201    2        0    17096     8168
788573     198458    0

And also if I shut down the vm while it is at 600% cpu, it takes
something like 10-15 minutes to shut down.

and CPU temperature is only 45 degrees during the high cpu usage, and
26-32 degrees when it's 0%, so whatever CPU waste it's doing is not
generating much heat. With 4.1.3, while a game is open, it reports 200%
cpu, and the temperature is around 50 degrees. I have a huge CPU cooler;
it's overclocked; and normally it runs about 55-70 degrees using 8 cores
depending on the task.

I tested with apic=0 and apic=1 (apic=1 will run windows very slow in
4.1.x, so I have been using apic=0 normally)