Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 development update

On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 18:15 +0100, Matt Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 11:25:54AM +0100, Thanos Makatos wrote:

We already have multiple block backend implementations (blktap1,
blktap2, qdisk, non-Linux dom0s), so I don't think that is a new
concern.

If anything blktap3 improves things by making blktap1 + 2 obsolete, plus
it comes with an active maintainer!

I think getting a working blktap3 implementation of the basic blk
protocol for 4.3 is a big enough chunk of work in its own right, it's
more than enough to fill someone's time for one release cycle IMHO.

So, I don't think implementing extensions (persistent grants, multipage
rings etc) need to be a requirement for blktap3 in 4.3, there's always
4.4 and beyond. Of course if someone wants to contribute patches I'm
sure Thanos would be very pleased ;-)

Ian.