Re: [Xen-devel] How could Xen know a certain GuestOS have already shutdown?

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Bruce Granger <vivagin@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:09:23 -0700 (PDT)
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 17:09:44 +0000

Hi everyone! This is probably a familiar problem,
 but I haven't found anything in the archives or from google yet.
I also talked with my parterners but we haven't got a sure conclusion.
Recently Iâm caring about a question about shutdown operation: When we
shutdown a GuestOS by giving the command in its terminal, how can hypervisor
get to know that this GuestOS is about to shutdown and How can hypervisor
know that GuestOS has already done the work of shutdown?

I've traced the VIRQ_DOM_EXC which send from Xen to Dom0 and picked up by
xenstored which fires the @releaseDomain watch when a GuestOS start to
shutdown.

Here, I still have two questions.
First, I haven't found anything useful in the archives about 'releaseDomain
watch'.What is the called '@releaseDomain' ? what's the use of it?

Second,I think that VIRQ_DOM_EXC is the signal used for communicate between
hypervisor and Dom0. I talked that with my parterner, we think that when
shutdown occurs, GuestOS will first get in touch with hypervisor ,then cause
the communication between Xen and Dom0 by VIRQ_DOM_EXC,is that right? What
we also want to know is when shutdown operation occurs in GuestOS, how
GuestOS communicate with the hypervisor first? Is there any signal or
somehow event delivery?
Could anyone tell me more about that?

It's my honor to get all your support! Thanks very much!