Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC v1 0/5] VBD: enlarge max segment per request in blkfront

> > > But you certainly shouldn't be proposing features getting used
> > > unconditionally or by default that benefit one class of backing
> > > devices and severely penalize others.
> >
> > Right.
> > I am wondering.. Considering that the in-kernel blkback is mainly used
> > with physical partitions, is it possible that your patches cause a
> > regression with unmodified backends that don't support the new
> > protocol, like QEMU for example?
>
> Well for right now I am just using the most simple configuration to eliminate
> any
> extra variables (stacking of components). So my "testing" has been just on
> phy:/dev/sda,xvda,w with the sda being a Corsair SSD.

I totally agree that we should not break others when enable what we want.
But just from my mind, the patch only have a little overhead in the
front/backend code path. It will induce pure random IO with a little overhead.
I tried the 4K read case, I just got 50MB/s w/o the patch. I need a more
powerful disk to verified it.

Ronghui