Re: [Xen-devel] Any news or plan about Xen support the APU

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 03:33:58PM +0800, Bei Guan wrote:
>    2012/9/11 Fajar A. Nugraha <[1]list@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>      On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 8:27 AM, Bei Guan <[2]gbtju85@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>      > Hi Konrad,
>      >
>      > Thank you very much for your reply. I'm not hitting any issues.
>      >
>      > AMD's APU is a new kind of processing device, which integrates a CPU
>      and a
>      > GPU on the same die. I want to know whether Xen has supported the
>      > virtualization of the APU processors? If yes, I can run something
>      > applications in the Xen PV VMs to use this kind of new CPU device.
>
>      AFAIK at this point AMD APUs are simply CPU + GPU. Even though they're
>      in the same die, they're basically different devices. So for the GPU
>      part, treat it like any other GPU. Which means you could PROBABLY
>      passthru it to ONE domU, but that's it.
>
>    Hi Fajar,
>    Thank you for your information.
>    Passthrough is a good method for a VM to use the GPU device. However, the
>    GPU is exclusively used by a VM in this way. It cannot be shared among
>    several VMs. I noticed that there are several projects implementing the
>    virtualization of GPU devices on Xen, such as vCUDA (Hunan University, CN,
>    2009) and GViM (Georgia IT). But, is there any plan with Xen support the
>    GPU virtualization in the Xen official code?

Take a look at the following projects:

vGallium / Xen3D:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~cs448/git/trunk/doc/Build-instructions
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODE2NQ

Chromium:
http://chromium.sourceforge.net/doc/index.html

VMGL:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmgl/

Spice OpenGL passthrough / Gallium3D:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2011-November/006018.html
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA1NTQ

You might want to take a look at getting Spice/Gallium stuff working nicely
with Xen.

(Xen already has spice support in Xen 4.2, and making QXL working is possible
when xen-unstable
switches to using the most recent Qemu upstream branch during the Xen 4.3
development cycle)

Hopefully those links help..

-- Pasi