[Xen-devel] Xen 4.2 new features and status -- please help me make a list

  • To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 15:14:56 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 14:15:28 +0000

Hi all,

I've been trawling the mercurial logs looking for interesting new
features to update http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_4.2_Feature_List and
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Release_Features and have come up with a
list of interesting things which I need to know more about before I can
say stuff.

I've bcc'd people who I think might know about one or more of the
following. If you do then please can you tell me:

      * What is the feature, what is the impact for the end user?
      * What is it's status in 4.2? Is it a proof of concept, an
        experimental feature, tech preview or a finished completed
        feature.
      * Is it new in 4.2? If it isn't new what was it's status in 4.1
        and 4.0 (i.e. from the list in the previous item).

Of course if you know of a feature in 4.2 which isn't mentioned but
which you think is worthwhile please let me know. I'm sure there are
plenty which I missed.

Also feel free to edit the wiki instead....

TIA for your help.

Ian.

Nested Virtualisation: Allow HVM guests to use virtualisation hardware
(e.g. Windows 7 compat mode)
        Tech Preview, new in 4.2

vMSI: ? Emulated (or real?) MSIs for guests?
        State? New in 4.2?

vMCE: Forward MCE (Machine Check Exceptions) to guests
        New in 4.2? Preview or complete? I know improvements are pending
        to migration in 4.3.

AMD OSVW: What is this?
        Seems to be new in 4.2?

xenpaging: Page HVM guest pages to disk
        Was marked as tech preview in 4.1 and earlier, still is?

memsharing: Sharing of HVM guest pages.
        Was marked as tech preview in 4.1 and earlier, still is?

Intel HLE: What is this?
        Seems to be new in 4.2?

Intel TRM: What is this?
        Seems to be new in 4.2?

OVMF support for HVM guests.
        New in 4.2, but disabled by default => Tech preview?

vPMU: Power Management?
        New in 4.2?

ASID support:
        4.2 gained an option to control this but I think it was
        pre-existing. When was it first introduced? 4.1 or 4.0 or
        before?

Core parking: Offlining CPUs for power reasons?
        New in 4.2?

PV netboot: Network boot for PV guests
        New in 4.2