Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.2.0 Release Plan / TODO

On Wed, 2012-09-05 at 09:51 +0100, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
> Wednesday, September 5, 2012, 10:34:27 AM, you wrote:

> >>           * xl support for "monitor" command. I don't see it mentioned in
> >> xl.cfg docs.
> >>             (the command to enable/disable access to the per-vm Qemu
> >> monitor/console
> >>              from VNC, which is usually accessed with ctrl-alt-2).
>
> > I can't see that happening for 4.2.0 now I'm afraid. Probably best to
> > bring it up with George in the 4.3 thread. It might be a candidate for
> > 4.2.1 depending on the size of the patch.
>
> I have the feeling there are still quite some options missing from xl ?
> And since xm will be formally deprecated perhaps this urges for a liberal
> view on backporting candidates.
>
> Having to wait a full release cycle for compatibility stuff doesn't
> seem very attractive and might make people skip 4.2.x altogether.

We have pretty much agreed that for at least 4.2.1 (and perhaps later
4.2.x too) we will take a slightly more liberal than usual approach to
backports which improve xl's feature parity with xend.

> I have just started on the shutdown option, so hopefully that can be off the
> list today :-)
> And do it for xl reboot too, it also lacks the "-a" option.

Great thanks.

> After that perhaps try to make a comparison between xm and xl to see
> what's still lacking in terms of compatibility and see what would be
> nice to have implemented, and what can perhaps be left out.

That would be great. Our priority would be to implement features which
people actually use in practice.