[Xen-devel] Dumpfile filtering and PGC_xxx flags

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Petr Tesarik <ptesarik@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 14:50:13 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 12:50:46 +0000

Hello folks,

I've been trying to add support for xen-4.0+ to makedumpfile (a utility that
can filter out some content from a kernel dump file). In particular, I'm now
struggling with implementing option "-X", which should filter out all domU
pages, but keep hypervisor internal data and dom0 pages. Unused pages (free
pages, broken pages, offlined pages, etc.) should also be filtered out,
because they are usually not needed for dump analysis.

I'm relying on the contents of frame_table to do the job, but I'm lost in the
hierarchy of PGC_xxx flags. My first naive idea was that I could keep pages
that have:

1. PGC_allocated and
2. the right owner (dom_xen, dom_io, or dom0).

But that doesn't include Xen internal structures. In fact, the page_info
structs for pages corresponding to Xen code and static data seem to be
completely unitialized (all zero).

Thanks for any advice,
Petr Tesarik
SUSE Linux