Re: [Xen-devel] Can't see more than 3.5GB of RAM / UEFI / no e820 memory map detected

On 23.08.2012 08:39, Jan Beulich wrote:
Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx> 08/23/12 9:29 AM >>>
I'm guessing xen.efi (from 4.2) just replaces grub??

"Replaces" is the wrong term. It simply makes the use of grub.efi (or however
it's named) unnecessary.

Also, if I were to apply that patch from superuser
(http://serverfault.com/questions/342109/xen-only-sees-512mb-of-system-ram-should-be-8gb-uefi-boot),
would have have any bad consequences? I'm very security conscience as
the DomUs are untrusted...

If you wanted to do that, I'd strongly recommend only removing the E801 code
(obviously, from your log, you don't get E820 entries reported
anyway, so this
would be to not harm using hypervisors built from the same source on other systems) or simply swapping the E801 and multiboot handling order (which may actually be something to consider even upstream, so you'd be welcome to post
such a patch).

But in the end, in order to indeed use UEFI as intended, you'll need
to switch to
using xen.efi and an EFI-enabled Dom0 kernel (which upstream pv-ops for now
isn't).

Jan

Hi Jan,

I'll submit a patch with the map entries in the if block swapped. I'll make the patch, then test it for you guys, then post it. Do I just send it to this list (for the benefit of others and for upstream consideration)?

When you say "use UEFI as intended", is there something wrong with just flipping the if block on its head?

Thanks