[Xen-devel] PV USB Use Case for Xen 4.x

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Tom Parker <tparker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 13:07:39 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 17:08:22 +0000

Good Afternoon.  My colleague Stefan (sstan) was asked on the IRC channel to provide our use case for PV USB in our environment.  This is possible with the current xm stack but not available with the xl stack.

Currently we use PVUSB to attach a USB Smartcard reader through our dom0 (SLES 11 SP1) running on an HP Blade Server with the Token mounted on an internal USB Port to our domU CA server (SLES 11)

The config file syntax is broken so we have to manually attach (I have it scripted) whenever our hosts reboot (which is almost never.)

On the dom0 server I have to do the following steps:

/usr/sbin/xm usb-list-assignable-devices (get the bus-id of the USB device)
/usr/sbin/xm usb-hc-create $Domain 2 2 (Create a USB 2.0 Root Hub with 2 ports in $Domain)
/usr/sbin/xm usb-attach $Domain $DevId $PortNumber $BusId (Attach the USB bus-id found in step 1 to the hub created in step 2)

On the domU the lsusb looks like this after the above (before it returns nothing)

mgaca:~ # lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04e6:5116 SCM Microsystems, Inc. SCR331-LC1 SmartCard Reader

Once I have done this I can use the usb devce in the domU as if it was directly connected.

Thanks for your time.

Tom Parker
Canadian Bank Note Company, Ltd.
tparker@xxxxxxxxx