Re: [Xen-devel] NUMA TODO-list for xen-devel

On Fri, 2012-08-03 at 12:02 +0200, Andre Przywara wrote:
> On 08/01/2012 06:16 PM, Dario Faggioli wrote:
> >
> >         * automatic placement of Dom0, if possible (my current series is
> >           only affecting DomU)
>
> I think Dom0 NUMA awareness should be one of the top priorities. If I
> boot my 8-node box with Xen, I end up with a NUMA-clueless Dom0 which
> actually has memory from all 8 nodes and thinks it's memory is flat.

Ok, I updated the Wiki page with a link to this (sub)thread --- more
specifically, the mails where we agree about the new syntax. I can work
on it, but not in the next few days, so let's see if anyone steps up
before I get to look at it. :-)

> > [D] - NUMA aware scheduling in Xen. Don't pin vcpus on nodes' pcpus,
> >        just have them _prefer_ running on the nodes where their memory
> >        is.
>
> This would be really cool. I once thought about something like a
> home-node. We start with placement to allocate memory from one node.
> Then we relax the VCPU-pinning, but mark this node as special for this
> guest, so that it if possible happens to get run there. But in times of
> CPU pressure we are happy to let it run on other nodes: CPU starving is
> much worse than NUMA penalty.

Yep. Patches coming soon.

Thanks and Regards,
Dario