Re: [Xen-devel] Should we revert "mm: New XENMEM space, XENMAPSPACE_gmfn_range"?

> wrote:
>>>>>
>>> I was reading more about this commit because this patch breaks the ABI
>>> on ARM, when I realized that on x86 there is no standard that specifies
>>> the alignment of fields in a struct.
>>>
>> There is - the psABI supplements to the SVR4 ABI.
>>

> This is a completely different issue.
> The problem here gcc/whatever compiler padding added to the struct in
> order to have alignment of the members to the word boundry. The
> difference is that this is not enforced in the ARM case (apparently,
> from Stefano's report) while it happens in the x86 case.
>
> This is why it is a good rule to organize member of a struct from the
> bigger to the smaller when compiling with gcc and this is not the case
> of the struct in question.
>
> In the end it is a compiler decisional thing, not something decided by
> the ABI.

No, definitely not. Otherwise inter-operation between code
compiled with different compilers would be impossible. To
allow this is what the various ABI specifications exist for (and
their absence had, e.g. on DOS, lead to a complete mess).

As to the ARM issue - mind pointing out where mis-aligned
structure fields are specified as being the standard?

Jan