Re: [Xen-devel] NUMA TODO-list for xen-devel

On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 17:32 +0100, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
> On 1 Aug 2012, at 17:16, Dario Faggioli <raistlin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >    - Inter-VM dependencies and communication issues. If a workload is
> >      made up of more than just a VM and they all share the same (NUMA)
> >      host, it might be best to have them sharing the nodes as much as
> >      possible, or perhaps do right the opposite, depending on the
> >      specific characteristics of he workload itself, and this might be
> >      considered during placement, memory migration and perhaps
> >      scheduling.
> >
> >    - Benchmarking and performances evaluation in general. Meaning both
> >      agreeing on a (set of) relevant workload(s) and on how to extract
> >      meaningful performances data from there (and maybe how to do that
> >      automatically?).
>
> I haven't tried out the latest Xen NUMA features yet, but we've been
> keeping track of the IPC benchmarks as we get newer machines here:
>

> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/ipc-bench/results.html

Wow... That's really cool. I'll definitely take a deep look at all these
data! I'm also adding the link to the wiki, if you're fine with that...

> Happy to share the raw data if you have cycles to figure out the best
> way to auto-place multiple VMs so they are near each other from a memory
> latency perspective.

I don't have anything precise in mind yet, but we need to think about
this.

> We haven't run many macro-benchmarks though, so
> in practise it might not matter, so it would be nice to settle on a good
> set of benchmarks to determine that for sure.

Yes, that's what we need. I'm open and available on trying to figure
this out anytime... I seem to recall you're going to be in SanDiego for
XenSummit, am I right? If yes, we can discuss this more there.

Thanks and Regards,
Dario