[Xen-devel] Proposal: Xen Test Days

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 13:08:30 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 12:09:07 +0000

Hi everybody,

at OSCON I had a couple of discussions regarding Fedora-like Xen Test Days. It may be a little bit late for this release putting all the documentation together (i.e. a TODO list of what we want to community and distros which consume Xen) to test to pull this off for this release cycle.

But I wanted to raise this as possibility and maybe something to build into future release cycles. If I look at http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_4.2 there is fairly little (or in fact almost nothing) we have in terms of how new functionality would be tested. My gut feel is that the biggest benefit of a Xen test Day for 4.2 may be in testing XL. There were some improvements last Monday, but I am not sure this is enough.

If I look at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Test_Days they have spent quite a bit of effort on this, and it would probably take one person a week or two full-time to pull this together. Also see, https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:Current

I just wanted to put this out there to see whether we should try for this release cycle and gather views. It would require a volunteer to step up. If the view is that this is not doable for 4.2, this may be a good thing to either try for patch releases as well as maybe for Xen 4.3

Regards
Lars