Re: [Xen-devel] XenStore as a data transfer path?

-----Original Message-----
From: James Harper [mailto:james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2012 8:44 PM
To: Larry White; xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] XenStore as a data transfer path?

> Can the XenStore database be accessed by domU's?
>

>>Yes. That is how the frontend/backend devices set up their communication
>>channels.

Are you saying that the actual data going back and forth gets put into the
XenStore?  I thought that the XenStore was mostly used for configuration
keyword values and such that the underlying drivers needed.

> If so, could it be used to pass small amounts of data back and forth
between
> dom0 and domU's using XenStore key entries?  If this is possible, it would
> seem that this could eliminate the need to create a "device" driver for a
> simple communication path.
>

>>Yes, for certain values of "small". Can you say more about the sort of
>>data you would be passing? In particular the throughput and latency
>>requirements?

I would say that the small amount of data here per transfer would be around
32 bytes in length with a latency of around 500ms or so.

Larry