[Xen-devel] How to test code changes in Xen? shared objects ?

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Ranjith Krishnan <pkranjithpk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 23:53:10 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 04:53:53 +0000

Hello,

I am new to Xen and am just starting to look at the xen source files. I am a graduate student and am looking to get a basic understanding of various components and then choose one sub-system ( maybe memory, networking etc) to work on.

I have a xen-dom0 ( Fedora 16) and dom-U ( CentOS 5) installed and working.
Xen hypervisor, I have compiled from source.

I have a couple of questions on modifying code and testing my changes.

1. How do I test my changes to the source ? I believe everytime I change the code, the Xen hypervisor needs to be compiled and reinstalled. Do I need to make any changes to the Dom0 and DomU after I reinstall Xen ?

2. Is there some kind of shared library ( .so files ) that I can write, so that I can avoid recompiling/reinstalling Xen everytime ?

I could be totally off the mark here and maybe there is a completely different way to test changes ? Please correct me if that is the case. If someone can point me to any guides/tutorials for the same, that would help too.

Thanks,
Ranjith