Re: [Xen-devel] LSI SAS2008 Option Rom Failure

On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 04:56 +0100, David Erickson wrote:
> Ok solved the compilation problem, the issue is the upstream configure
> script is testing for xen by compiling code that includes xs.h,
> however xs.h now throws a deprecated warning, and the configure script
> compiles with the flag that makes any warning an error.  The solution
> is to replace all instances of xs.h in
> xen-unstable.hg/tools/qemu-xen-dir/configure with xenstore.h after the
> make has failed, then run it again and it will work.

I think Anthony sent a patch upstream for this, but I suppose it hasn't
been committed yet -- Anthony is that right?

> This also resolved the option/expansion ROM issue I was seeing, but
> unfortunately simultaneously caused the card to no longer function
> within the VM.  The error I'm seeing now from dom0 is:
>
> cat /var/log/xen/qemu-dm-ubuntu.log
> xc: error: linux_gnttab_set_max_grants: ioctl SET_MAX_GRANTS failed
> (22 = Invalid argument): Internal error
> xen be: qdisk-5632: xc_gnttab_set_max_grants failed: Invalid argument

AFAIK this one is harmless but could be fixed by updating your dom0
kernel.

> [00:05.0] pci_msix_write: Error: Can't update msix entry 0 since MSI-X
> is already enabled.
> [00:05.0] pci_msix_write: Error: Can't update msix entry 0 since MSI-X
> is already enabled.
> [00:05.0] pci_msix_write: Error: Can't update msix entry 0 since MSI-X
> is already enabled.
> [00:05.0] pci_msix_write: Error: Can't update msix entry 0 since MSI-X
> is already enabled.

Anthony/Stefano, are MSIs supposed to work with upstream Qemu (the
upstream branch)?

David also previous tried our branch of upstream qemu and had problems
there too -- I thought we'd backported the basic PCI passthrough support
but he was seeing
        libxl: error: libxl_qmp.c:288:qmp_handle_error_response:
        received an
        error message from QMP server: Parameter 'driver' expects a
        driver
        name
(see upthread for more details)

David, it might be worth trying a simpler devie pass through first just
to validate the basic functionality is working for you. Usually a NIC or
a USB controller is  pretty good simple case.

If you try a NIC then you could also try PXE booting from it, which will
exercise the option ROM support, which should be simpler than the option
ROM used by a RAID controller.

> I've attached the output of xl dmesg and the screenshot of the dmesg
> error within my test Ubuntu domu (I don't know how to debug Solaris as
> well so I figure Ubuntu is a good place to verify pass through
> functionality first).

Yes, starting with Ubuntu is a good idea.

The last line of the dmesg is:
(XEN) vmsi.c:108:d32767 Unsupported delivery mode 3
which sounds interesting, might be something Stefano knows about?

Ian.