[Xen-devel] FW: maximum memory size allocated by _xmalloc

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Chulmin Kim" <cmkim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 18:24:26 +0900
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 09:25:12 +0000

> >> _xmalloc will first try to use the size pools for allocation, and
> >> failing
> > that, try to
> >> allocate full pages.
> >>
> >> As it is returning NULL, this probably means you no longer have
> >> 24MB of
> > free
> >> contiguous RAM to allocate.
> >>
> >> ~Andrew
> >>
> > Thanks for the reply, Andrew.
> >
> > I have to check the contiguity.
> >
> > If it is the cause of the problem, then, how can I detour this problem?
> >
> > Other xen part calling xmalloc_array does not handle this problem as
> > far as I know. (only consider it as an error)
> >
> > Should I split the data structure into two or more chunks?
>
> Personally, I would think that 24M is a stupidly large amount to be
> trying to allocate with xmalloc and friends.
>
> If you are using that much memory, it might be worth using
> alloc_xenheap_pages() and working with full pages instead.
>
> Why do you need so much space for memory statistics?
>
> ~Andrew

OK. I will try alloc_xenheap_pages().

I am following up a research work (Dynamic Memory Balncing ~~), and it
maintains  a table which has an entry per page in the machine.

My machine has large memory (different from that in the research work), so
it needs that amount of memory.

Thanks!