Re: [Xen-devel] PCI hotplug related issues

  • To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx>
  • From: Anil Rao <anil.rao@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 14:01:51 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 18:02:36 +0000

Thanks for the reply.

After encountering this problem, I was afraid that only VM-level hotplug is
supported by Xen (and not true hotplug at the host-level). Can someone kindly
confirm that this is the case? Our current effort depends on host-level hotplug
of a PCI device that can (later) be assigned (hotplugged) to a running VM, so a
definitive answer will help us to avoid going down the wrong path.

At the same time, I still think its odd that the Xen xm pci-attach command
returned success when the attempted hotplug operation actually failed (as
reported by the error message printed in the qemu-dm log file). Also, as I have
indicated in my earlier post, Xen actually believes that the PCI device is
assigned to the target VM (verified this by using xm pci-list to find out the
list of devices attached to a VM), which again is very misleading.

-Anil