[Xen-devel] Proposals/changes for a new Wiki Front-Page - need input/mods/creative proposals

Hi everybody,

at the last Xen Docs Day I got feedback that it is too hard to find useful information from the wiki front page. Also, much of the information on the front page (the list of categories) is actually duplicated on the wiki navigation bar.

There were a few items of feedback I received:
1) The front page should be more use-case driven and be aimed at beginners and users
2) Wiki Search is broken.
- Actually it is not, the UI design of search in MediaWiki is bad.
- Typing "Foo"+return into the search box will actually perform Go(Foo) which searches for "Foo" in titles only
- To search you need to type "Foo" and press search
3) Google search is broken.
- Some redirects are still needed but mostly we have fixed this now.
- The ones we know of are: (e.g. wiki.xensource.com is still hanging around)
- If you find SEO issues: let us know at http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/SEO_Issues

To facilitate the discussion on the new front-page, I created a proposal space for everybody to play with and make proposals
- http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Proposals/ : list of proposals
- http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Proposals/Main_Page1 : a more use-case focussed front-page
- http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Talk:Proposals/Main_Page1 : discussion page, feel free to add
- http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Proposals/Main_Page2 : a copy of the previous page, feel free to change