[Xen-devel] Using "xl create" without domain config file

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "W. Michael Petullo" <mike@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 23:50:41 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 31 May 2012 04:51:34 +0000

I found it useful to use xm without a domain configuration file:

        xm create /dev/null kernel=...

The xl command does not support this. See a previous thread I started:

        http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2011-08/msg00330.html

I just found the time to modify xl so that it works without a domain
configuration file. For example:

        xl create kernel=\"...\" ...

Would it be possible to add this feature? The xl command already supports
augmenting a domain configuration file with additional information
from the command line. My changes just modify xl so that the entire
configuration may be specified on the command line.

To test this patch, run:

        1. xl create -c /path/to/config

        2. xl create -c /path/to/config someAdditionalDomainParam=\"value\"

        3. xl create -c kernel=\"/path/to/kernel\"

The third test covers the new case.

--
Mike

:wq