Re: [Xen-devel] Some questions about VGA passthrough

On 23 May 2012 19:18, <jocelyn.falempe@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying get the following configuration working with Xen VGA passthrough (no more dual-boot for gaming !):

Core i7 3770 (with Vt-d)
ASRock z77 Pro4-M
Sapphire Radeon HD 7950

my goal is to have a Linux Dom0 using the intel HD 3000 gfx integrated in the CPU, connected to 1 display, and a Win7 DomU, using the Radeon 7950, connected to another display.

I installed Ubuntu 12.04, and xen 4.1.2 from the packages.

- Do I need VGA passthrough, or PCI passthrough might be enough in my case ? (Dom0 doesn't use the Radeon, and I saw some reports with 3D graphics with PCI passthrough).

- Do I need to extract the VGA Bios ? I think it is only required for NVIDA cards, but I didn't find a clear statement.

- Do I need to add vga passthrough patches ? which version to use for xen 4.1.2 ?

my xen is able to boot a HVM 64bit win8 consumer preview (but there are no driver for 7950, so I will go back to win7).

also I added this in grub :

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet splash xen-pciback.permissive xen-pciback.hide=(01:00.0)(01:00.1) pci=resource_alignment=01:00.0;01:00.1"

~# xm pci-list-assignable-device
0000:01:00.0
0000:01:00.1

so normally I should be able to pass the graphic cards to the HVM.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Regards,

PCI passthrough will be enough. VGA passthrough is used when you want to pass through a primary display adapter and have VGA/VESA working in the guest.

Jean