Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable test] 11946: regressions - FAIL

On 07/05/2012 09:10, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> (XEN) *** IRQ BUG found ***
>> (XEN) CPU0 -Testing vector 236 from bitmap
> 236 = 0xec = FIRST_LEGACY_VECTOR + 0x0c, i.e. an IRQ12 coming
> in through the 8259A. Something fundamentally fishy must be going
> on here, and I would suppose the code in question shouldn't even be
> reached for legacy vectors.
>
> Furthermore, calling dump_irqs() from the debugging code with
> desc->lock still held makes it impossible to get full output, as that
> function wants to lock all initialized IRQ descriptors.
>
> Jan

Yes - it has been vector 236 on each of the 3 reported failures from AP,
and I believe it was also vector 236 in the one case I managed to
reproduce the issue.

However, once we have set up the IO-APIC, the 8259A should not be used
any more.  The boot dmeg shows that io_ack_method is indeed "old" (which
was going to be my first suggestion), and that EOI Broadcast Suppression
is enabled, which I have already identified as a source of problems for
some customers.  As a 'fix', I provided the ability for
"io_ack_method=new" to prevent EOI Broadcast Suppression being enabled.
This was upstreamed in c/s 24870:9bf3ec036bef, but apparently has not
completely fixed the customer problems - just made it substantially more
rare.

AP: Can you manually invoke the 'i' debug key and provide that - it will
help to see how Xen is setting up the IO-APIC(s) on your system.

~Andrew