Re: [Xen-devel] 4.2 Release Plan / TODO

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Andres Lagar-Cavilla" <andres@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 06:09:34 -0700
  • Cc: ian.jackson@xxxxxxxxxx, tim@xxxxxxx, ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 13:10:05 +0000

> [...]
>                         functions and there do not need to be async.
>                         (So, DONE with no action required)
>                       * libxl_domain_core_dump. Can take a dummy ao_how
>                         and remain synchronous internally.
>                       * libxl_device_{disk,nic,vkb,add}_add (and
>                         remove?). Roger Pau Monn? fixes disk as part of
>                         hotplug script series and adds infrastructure
>                         which should make the others trivial.
>                       * libxl_cdrom_insert. Should be easy once
>                         disk_{add,remove} done, IanJ to look at.
>                       * libxl_device_disk_local_{attach,detach}. Become
>                         internal as part of Stefano's domain 0 disk
>                         attach series.
>                       * libxl_device_pci_{add,remove}. Less trivial than
>                         the others. A volunteer would be appreciated.
>                       * libxl_xen_console_*. No interface for waiting
>                         and each call just dumps a bit more of the
>                         ring , so is fast. Nothing to do here (therefore
>                         DONE)
>                       * libxl_xen_tmem_*. All functions are "fast" and
>                         therefore no async needed. Exception is
>                         tmem_destroy which Dan Magenheimer says is
>                         obsolete and can just be removed.
>                       * libxl_fork -- IanJ's event series removes all
>                         users of this.
>       * [BUG] Manually ballooning dom0.  xl mem-set 0 [foo] fails with
>         "libxl: error: libxl.c:2569:libxl_set_memory_target: cannot get
>         memory info from /local/domain/0/memory/static-max: No such file
>         or directory". This might be suitable for an enthusiastic
>         on-looker. (George Dunlap, in the absence of said onlooker)
>       * xl compatibility with xm:
>               * None remaining?
>       * More formally deprecate xm/xend. Manpage patches already in
>         tree. Needs release noting and communication around -rc1 to
>         remind people to test xl.
>       * Domain 0 block attach & general hotplug when using qdisk backend
>         (need to start qemu as necessary etc) (Stefano S, patches
>         posted)
>       * file:// backend performance.
>               * qemu-xen-traditional and upstream qemu-xen performance
>                 has been improved and is now satisfactory.
>               * Xen 4.2 will prefer blktap2 if a kernel module is
>                 available (e.g. older dom0 kernel or DKMS provided
>                 kernel module) and will fallback to qemu qdisk if no
>                 blktap2 is available.
>               * There will be no userspace "blktap3" for Xen 4.2
>       * Improved Hotplug script support (Roger Pau Monn?, patches
>         posted)
>       * Block script support -- follows on from hotplug script (Roger
>         Pau Monn?)
>
> hypervisor, nice to have:
>       * solid implementation of sharing/paging/mem-events (using work
>         queues) (Tim Deegan, Olaf Herring et al -- patches posted)
>               * "The last patch to use a waitqueue in
>                 __get_gfn_type_access() from Tim works.  However, there
>                 are a few users who call __get_gfn_type_access with the
>                 domain_lock held. This part needs to be addressed in
>                 some way."
>       * Sharing support for AMD (Tim, Andres).
>       * PoD performance improvements (George Dunlap)
>
> It seems that none of the above are going to happen for 4.2?

Item 1, no.

Item 2, AMD+paging, people have reported moderate success with what's in
the tree. The AMD folks are looking into trying to reproduce some issues I
run into win7 guest + PV drivers. So it's in, but marked as experimental.

I posted a bunch of hap, shadow and sharing bug fixes that I hope to get
into 4.2. All internal to the hypervisor. Also posted sharing doc patches
for the tools.

Cheers,
Andres