Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.2 Release Plan / TODO

Hi Ian(s) --

After reading libxl.h, I'm not absolutely positive I understand
all the conditions that would cause you to label a function as
"slow" but I believe all the libxl_tmem_* functions are "fast".
All of them are strictly "call the hypervisor, wait for it to
return" and none of the hypercalls (actually which are variations of
the one tmem hypercall) require a callback to dom0 or to the
calling guest... they all complete entirely inside the hypervisor.

Libxl_tmem_destroy may take a long time as it has to walk
through and free some potentially very large data structures,
but it is only used at domain destruction.

Libxl_tmem_list does allocate some memory in userland that the
hypercall fills synchronously (with ascii-formatted statistics/counters
maintained entirely by the tmem code in the hypervisor).

If any of the above raises any alarms/concerns, let me know,
else no need to asynchronizify any of the tmem functions in libxl.

(Zhigang cc'ed since he's more familiar with the libxl layer than I.)

Dan