Re: [Xen-devel] fatal error if Flex and Bison is not configured

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 12:12 +0100, zhihao wang wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I try to build xen 4.2( revision number: 25161) on Ubuntu 11.10_amd64,
>> Mac pro. After running ./configure and make. I got the following fatal
>> error:
>>
>> libxlu_cfg_y.y:22:26: fatal error: libxlu_cfg_l.h: No such file or
>> directory compilation terminated.
>>

>> So the original libxlu_cfg_l.h is deleted when making, and should be
>> regenerated but it is not.
>
> Actually it should never have been deleted in the first place, unless
> you have been modifying the flex source.
>
> Please can you enumerate the exact steps you took, starting from the
> initial clone of the repo, which caused the file to be deleted?
>
>> I find the path of flex and bison is not set.  When I add the correct
>> path of flex and bison in tools.mk manually, This error is fixed.
>
> Those tools should be optional since the generated files are checked in.
> However perhaps configure should detect and provide the paths but behave
> in a non-fatal manner if they aren't available? Roger, what do you
> think?

FWIW, I managed to get into a state where I ran into this error too;
after a sequence of fairly random steps, it went away, and I wasn't
able to reproduce it again.  I have no idea what I did to get there in
the first place, nor what I did to fix it.

Zhihao: I think if you make a clean copy of the repo and run
./configure again, the problem will probably go away.

 -George