[Xen-devel] where to find blktap2 kernel module

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Tim Wood <twwood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 17:24:15 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 21:25:02 +0000

In xen 4.0.X I was able to write custom blktap2 drivers as a nice way to intercept VM disk traffic.  I'm now trying to take a step up to xen 4.1.2 and find that blktap2 doesn't seem to be supported anymore, or at least it requires a kernel module which I'm not sure where to find.  Is blktap2 still in use, or is there an entirely different way I should be approaching this?

Previously I could run commands like:

tapdisk2 -n tap:aio:/home/twood/vms/testdisk.img

the new tapdisk2 doesn't support that interface anymore, but it seems like the correct approach is now:

xm block-attach 0 tap2:aio:/path/disk.img xvda w 0
Error: ('create', '-aaio:/path/disk.img') failed (55808 blktap kernel module not installed )

What is the "proper" way of getting the blktap kernel module installed?  I found this:
http://packages.debian.org/sid/blktap-dkms

but couldn't get it to actually install.  In any case, it seems unlikely that is the best way to go.

Also, I will admit that I am running 4.1.2 (from source) rather than unstable---looking through the threads here doesn't make it sound like upgrading to that will fix anything, but I can do so if need be.

thanks for any suggestions