Re: [Xen-devel] odd configure warnings on ARM

On Fri, 2012-03-16 at 09:22 +0000, Roger Pau Monnà wrote:
> 2012/3/16 Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> >> Ian Jackson requested for this, as it was not originally part of my patch:
> >>
> >> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-03/msg00762.html
> >>
> >> But I don't really think it's necessary/useful for the end user.
> >
> > (adding Ian)
> >
> > I don't think that configure should be concerning itself with whatever
> > random stuff the python developers feel it necessary to include in their
> > LDFLAGS other than the one we need to look at.
> >
> > I'm not sure why we are filtering the result of python-config though.
> > Shouldn't a test compile using Python.h be using the full set of
> > whatever python-config says we should use?
>
> I'm filtering python-config output to detect which python library to
> use, since python libraries have the version number attached
> (-lpython2.6 or -lpython2.7 ...), so I need to know the exact name of
> the library we are using to perform the correct AC_CHECK_LIB call,
> which can only test a library at a time, so I can not use "-lpython2.6
> -Xlinker -export-dynamic ..." as an argument to AC_CHECK_LIB.

Will -lpython2.6 work without these other things though?

What about setting LDFLAGS to include the pythohn-config output while
testing -lpython2.6. Perhaps filtering only python2.6 from the flags?

This doesn't seem like the sort of problem we would be the first to
encounter. Google found
http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf-archive/ax_python.html
The second hit was
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=autoconf-archive.git;a=blob_plain;f=m4/ax_python_devel.m4

What about just using one of those?

> On the other hand, we could craft our own test, using all
> python-config flags, but I would prefer to keep using provided
> autoconf macros.

Using autoconf macros or well known macros from elsewhere in preference
to rolling our own seems like a good idea to me.