Re: [Xen-devel] 4.2 TODO update

On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 12:11 +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> This update covers two weeks since I was away last week.

Hi,

I think the below should be considered too, and I'm proposing it as a
(tools) blocker, as I really think it affects API stability.

I can take care of it, provided we have some preliminary
design-discussion. :-D

> tools, blockers:
>       * libxl stable API -- we would like 4.2 to define a stable API
>         which downstream's can start to rely on not changing. Aspects of
>         this are:
>               * add libxl_defbool and generally try and arrange that
>                 memset(foo,0,...) requests the defaults (Ian Campbell,
>                 DONE)
>               * Safe fork vs. fd handling hooks. This is an API
>                 addition, so maybe not required fro stable API, bit need
>                 to have for 4.2? (Ian J, patches posted)

  * locking/serialization, e.g., for domain creation. As of now,
    nothing is provided for this purpose, and downstream toolstacks have
    to put their own mechanisms in place. E.g., xl uses a fcntl() lock
    around the whole process of domain creation. It should OTOH be
    libxl job to offer a set of hooks --properly placed within the
    domain creation process-- for the downstreams to fill with the
    proper callbacks. (Dario Faggioli)

Thanks and Regards,
Dario

Dario Faggioli, http://retis.sssup.it/people/faggioli
PhD Candidate, ReTiS Lab, Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Pisa (Italy)