Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-API] GSoC 2012 project brainstorming

On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 13:00 -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> > HYPERVISOR
> > ----------
> > - insmod Xen
> > - event channel limits
> > - NUMA
>
> Yeah, we need that.

I'm looking into some aspects of this. Basically, I'm (trying to? :-D)
putting some NUMA-aware VM placement logic in xl, basing the decision on
how much free memory we have in each node.

I'm also trying to have a meaningful set of benchmarks to better
understand the performance implications of a sub-optimal placement.

I'm hoping to have the implementation of this (memory-wise only for now)
placemen logic soon, and I have a quite hard deadline for it placed at
the end of the month, so... :-)

As usual, any comment and ideas are more than welcome.

> I think there were some patches posted for that.. whatever
> happend to them?

I've searched the list and the web for things like that and didn't find
anything, but that could of course be my fault. Currently, my reference
is what xm/xend does in order to deply VMs on the various nodes... I
really hope the final result will look better than that, but that's
enough for the first step.

Finally, I'm not yet sure if there will be something suitable for GsoC
here, but again I'm open to discuss any idea! :-)

Regards,
Dario

Dario Faggioli, http://retis.sssup.it/people/faggioli
PhD Candidate, ReTiS Lab, Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Pisa (Italy)