Re: [Xen-devel] Xen scripts rewrite

> > I am trying to wrap my head around the xen scripts
> > in /etc/xen/scripts. I am currently looking at locking.sh but I
> > don't really understand what it is doing.
> >
> > I see that claim_lock has a while loop, it seems to wait until it
> > can write its own PID to $lockdir/owner. If the file $lockdir/owner
> > exists, check if the pid is still running. If it's still running
> > when the loop is done, steal the lock by writing $$ to
> > $lockdir/owner anyway.
> >
> > Anyway. Can someone please further explain this file in plain
> > English and detail. Am I right with my above assumptions, and when
> > are locks even used?
> >
> > As said, I request as much detail as possible - the rewrite is to
> > improve efficiency, readability and user customisation. As it is now
> > you have too much functions that confuse me silly.
> >
> > If I am succesful I will share the outcome, so there's an incentive
> > if you need one.
>
> Current locking mechanism have some problems. I've written about it
> here:
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2011-07/msg00182.html

Alright, thanks.

I really do need to understand the purpose of locking and when Xen
does what with regards to locking. So, my request for a detailed
explanation still stands. And I have yet to understand whether xl uses
these scripts, because I am still using xm for the moment.

I have a bit of success already because with a little bit of hacking
here and there I have managed to write a script for use with
openvswitch. But I don't want to release my patches in small steps, a
lot has to be done first.

So who's gonna shed some light on this? And is anyone interested to
join the fun? :)

Mark